As part of its Active and Responsible Citizenship Campaign, Repubblika is inviting all students attending schools in Malta and Gozo to participate in a national students’ competition with the following theme: What does democracy mean to me?
The following are the rules of the competition:
- Category 1: Years 7, 8 and 9
- Category 2: Years 10 and 11
- Category 3: Post-secondary (6th formers)
To promote among young people awareness of how citizens can contribute to the well-being of their community.
Students are required to submit an essay and/or a poster on one of the following topics inspired by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
- Everyone is entitled to the same rights without discrimination of any kind.
- Everyone has the right to life, liberty, and security.
- Everyone has the right to justice.
- Everyone is equal before the law and has the right to equal protection of the law.
- Everyone has the right to privacy.
- Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and to leave and return to one’s country.
- Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression.
- Everyone has the right to peaceful assembly and association.
- Everyone has the right to education.
- Everyone has the right to rest and leisure.
Language & length of essays
Essays can be either in Maltese or in English. Participants of Years 7, 8 and 9 are kindly asked to write between 250-300 words, Years 10 and 11 students between 350-450 words and Post-secondary (sixth formers) between 500-600 words.
Posters for all categories should be A3 size.
Monday, 5th April 2021, at noon.
Submission of essays and posters must take place either by email to email@example.com or else by mail to 29, Church Square, Mqabba MQB1011. All submissions shall be addressed to Ms Marion Pace Asciak. Together with the essay/poster, participants must send the following particulars: name, surname, date of birth, address, fixed telephone line, mobile phone number, email address, school name, form number, competition category and chosen topic.
Certificate of participation
All participants shall receive a certificate of participation.
A book of a value not lower than €20 shall be given to the first 30 participants who submit their work (excluding the 12 finalists).
Each of the 6 students who place first in their category and age group shall receive a set of books of a value not lower than €150. The 6 students who place second in their category and age group shall each receive a set of books of a value not lower than €60.
N.B. Participants can participate in both the essay as well as the poster competition.