At a meeting held on Tuesday 30th June, the Executive Committee resolved to hold this year’s Annual General Meeting on Thursday 1st October 2020. For this purpose, the Committee appointed the following five members to form the Nominations Committee which will supervise the nominations and voting for the offices of President and President-Elect of Repubblika:
- Joanna Agius
- Beatrice Gatt
- Antonio Grech
- Godfrey Leone Ganado
- Karen Zerafa Boffa
The current President and President-Elect are Professor Vicki Ann Cremona and Dr Robert Aquilina respectively and the Executive Committee has confirmed their nomination for President will be Dr Robert Aquilina.
The remaining 11 Executive Committee Members hold office for two years so we would like to invite members to make their recommendations to the Nominations Committee for the following offices only within forty-five (45) days from today:
- President of the Executive Committee
- President-Elect of the Executive Committee
Recommendations can be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail addressed to “Nominations Committee, Repubblika, 55, Melita Street, Valletta.
A full copy of the statute can be accessed here but for your convenience, the main rules that regulate the election of the President and President-Elect are as follows:
- Ninety (90) days before the AGM, the Executive Committee shall appoint a Nominations Committee comprised of five (5) Active members. The names of the members of the Nominations Committee shall be published on the Association’s website and sent via email to all members which email shall invite members to make recommendations to the Nominations Committee of candidates for the offices vacant in terms of the Statute and/or of the office of Executive Committee Member within forty-five (45) days.
- The Nominations Committee shall publish the names of the nominees for each position on the Association’s website.
- Not less than thirty (30) days prior to the Annual General Meeting, other persons may be nominated by petition signed by at least ten (10) members in good standing, and such nomination shall be accepted by the Nominations Committee and placed on the ballot, having published the full list of nominees not later than fifteen (15) days prior to the meeting.
- Voting by the procedure established by the Executive Committee in consultation with the Nominations Committee shall conclude no later than one (1) day prior to the date of the Annual General Meeting.
- The President, President-Elect and Immediate Past President shall hold office for one (1) year and all other Executive Committee Members shall hold office for two (2) years, unless sooner terminated in accordance with this Statute. In the event that the number of members of the Executive Committee falls below five (5), the Nominations Committee last nominated shall seek to remedy the default, failing which within eight (8) weeks from the vacancy/ies arising, the process of dissolution of the Association shall be put into effect by the Nominations Committee.
- The President and the President-Elect are not to be members of the same immediate family. Immediate family, as used herein, shall include brothers or sisters, spouses, descendants and ascendants.
- The Executive Committee, after considering the recommendations of the Nominations Committee shall nominate one or more persons from the membership at large or from the Executive Committee as candidates for the office of President and President-elect.
- Members of the membership at large can nominate other candidates by petition signed by at least twenty (20) members in good standing and such nominations shall be accepted and placed in the ballot.
- Any nominee for the office of President or President-elect must be a voting member in good standing.
- The candidates for President and President-elect shall be declared elected on the ‘first past the post’ method and in the event of a tie, a second ballot will be held, provided that in the event of a tie after a third ballot, the election will be declared null and void and a new electoral process shall be put into effect by the Nominations Committee.